We asked teens a series of questions about social media, bullying, and digital citizenship. The teens, interns for #ICANHELP, a nonprofit organization empowering students to use social media positively, gave their thoughts on a variety of topics, including what are the biggest problems facing teens in regards to social media use.
Teens were asked, “What’s the biggest problem you face in regards to social media?” Here are their responses:
- “The biggest problem I face in regards to social media is definitely inappropriate accounts trying to follow me. Before I made my account private I was always scared who was following me.” — Yahli.
- “The biggest problem I face in regards to social media is how to react or respond to rude posts made by my friends.” Elliott L.
- “The biggest problem I face in regards to social media is not comparing myself to others. To achieve this goal I strictly limit how much time I spend on social media; for example, about a month ago I deleted Twitter and have not been back on since.” Simone D.
- “I don’t face this problem personally, but one big problem that I see all over social media is the pressure it places on people to be “perfect”. So many people edit themselves to feel good, but they don’t realize that they are beautiful no matter what. Many of my classmates have posted on Instagram, confessing that they became too obsessed with it. They went crazy over the amount of followers and likes they got. I think that it is an unhealthy mindset and I wish that people wouldn’t be so hard on themselves.” — Allison K.
- “The biggest problem I face in regards to social media is when I see people’s hate comments, accounts, and posts.” — Allie C.
- “One of the biggest problems regarding social media for me is the feeling of jealousy. Looking at influencers who present their life in a perfect way makes others have to constantly remind themselves that people just post the highlights of their life and they indeed do have problems just like everyone else.” — Ananda
- “I personally find myself becoming more insecure after using social media. I find myself looking at the photos I post and letting my imperfections determine my self-worth.” — Malorie B.
- “Fake/Inappropriate accounts requesting to follow me.” — Morgan R.
- “The biggest problem I face in regards to social media is the problem of cyberbullying and how easy it is for someone to put someone else down without thinking of any consequences that could potentially occur- whether to themselves or the person they’re hurting.” — Linda C.
- “The biggest problem I face on social media is comparing myself to others and how their lives and bodies look and appear online.” — Clementine C.
- “The biggest problem that I face in regards to social media is comparison. When it comes to social media, everyone presents the best, most perfect part of their lives, and it can be difficult to stop yourself from comparing your life to others. Behind those perfect pictures is a life that is not nearly as great as it seems, and it is of the utmost importance to remind yourselves of that.” — Triveni P.
- “The biggest problem I face due to social media is comparing myself to others. Sometimes when you scroll through your feed or stories, you feel as if someone else has had a much better day than you, and you feel left out or socially isolated. That’s my biggest problem because I tend to feel alone.” — Diane K.
Thank you to #ICANHELP and their wonderful interns for sharing with us. Stay tuned for an upcoming social media live chat on Twitter this April, which will include many of the other thoughts and opinions from these young leaders.